Perfect Your Ears with Otoplasty Benefits
Otoplasty, the art of ear refinement, is a transformative step toward balanced facial aesthetics. Designed to address both the visible and the emotional, this procedure harmonizes appearance, aligning your ears perfectly with your unique facial landscape.
Achieve the balance you desire; let your ears complement, not dominate, your facial profile.
Say goodbye to self-consciousness. Otoplasty delivers a confidence that resonates in every glance and conversation.
Tailored to your wishes, otoplasty ensures your ears mirror your desired look and feel.
For many people, large or protruding ears are a constant source of embarrassment. At Becker Plastics in Princeton, Voorhees, Yardley, and Philadelphia, we offer otoplasty procedures to anyone who wishes to have their outer ears reshaped surgically to be in harmony with other facial features. This cosmetic procedure improves the appearance of the ears, which typically boosts the patient’s confidence significantly.
Our mission at Becker Plastics is to help people enjoy their lives more fully by improving their appearance through plastic surgery. We have transformed many lives with plastic surgery and our surgeons are dedicated to meeting each patient’s unique needs. Otoplasty can be life-changing for the right patients.
What is Otoplasty?
Otoplasty is a surgical procedure used to reshape the ear, often performed for cosmetic reasons. While most people couldn’t tell you how big a “normal” ear is, most of us can tell if a person’s ears look too large or too small. Having ears outside the normal size range can cause self-consciousness, poor facial balance, and even bullying.
Serious accidents can also cause damage that may affect the size or shape of the ear. Whether the anomaly is congenital or accidental, undergoing reconstructive surgery can help to enhance the ears with an aesthetic appearance.
Who Should Have an Ear Pinning Surgery?
Are you overly conscious about your ear shape and size? Have you been bullied or mocked on more than one occasion because of the appearance of your ears? Have you wondered many times whether there is anything you can do to change your appearance and facial balance?
If you have asked yourself any of the above questions, then Becker Plastics may have the solution you need. Otoplasty is an effective procedure that will permanently change the appearance of the ears for the better.
If you have a child with irregularly shaped ears, the best time to have an otoplasty is when the child is between 5 and 6 years old. This age is perfect because it gives the kid more than enough time to complete their ear growth and may prevent bullying in school. 5 years is the earliest age that a child should have an otoplasty.
We do not recommend cosmetic ear surgery for children under the age of five. For adults, there is no age limit. Whether you are 20, 45, or 60, you can have an otoplasty procedure. It is never too late to look your best.
An otoplasty procedure can help to correct ear conditions such as:
- Large or protruding ears
- Extremely large ear lobes
- Shell ear- this occurs when one is born with missing ear features such as natural folds and curves in the rim
- Lop ear- the tips of the ear trend forward and fold down
How An Otoplasty is Performed
During an otoplasty procedure, the surgeon will administer an anesthetic to the patient. If the patient is a child, they will receive a general anesthetic. Adult patients will likely receive a local anesthetic, possibly combined with sedation.
After the anesthetic takes full effect, the surgeon will proceed to make an incision at the back of the patient’s ear, and then apply some permanent stitches. The stitches will play an important role in holding back the outer part of the ear. Depending on the situation, the plastic surgeon may remove ear cartilage pieces or excess skin.
The average amount of time that an otoplasty procedure should take is 2 hours at most. It is important to note that the incision the plastic surgeon makes behind the ears at the beginning of the procedure will likely leave a scar.
However, patients shouldn’t worry too much about the scars because they will be thin and unnoticeable, well-hidden behind the ears thanks to the surgical technique applied by the surgeon. The best part is that the scar will mostly fade away after a while.
We highly recommend that you get a board-certified plastic surgeon to perform an otoplasty procedure for you. Inexperienced surgeons may produce disappointing or inconsistent results. At Becker Plastics, our team consists of licensed, board-certified, surgeons who will handle your ears with care.
Recovery From an Ear Pinning Surgery
When the plastic surgeon is done, they will apply a dressing to your ears that will remain in place for a few days. The dressing is meant to protect your ears from contamination and allow the ears to heal as they should. The doctor may temporarily remove the ear dressing the day after surgery to inspect the area for any hematomas.
Once the ear dressings are removed, you will be required to wear a soft headband to protect the ears at night to promote optimal healing. We recommend that you do not skip wearing the headband because it will play a big role in protecting your ears from being jostled as you sleep.
You can expect the following side effects after an otoplasty procedure:
- Bruising behind the ears for a period of about 2 weeks
- Numbness in the ears for several weeks
- Tingling in the ears for a few weeks
- Soreness around the ears
Recovery Timeline for Ear Surgery
Your surgeon will discuss strategies for managing any discomfort with you. After the first week or so, you will be able to engage in most normal daily activities during the recovery period. Here’s a quick timeline of what you can do and when during the recovery period:
- Travel soon after surgery
- Wash your hair (although we recommend you wait to do this for at least two weeks)
- Exercise after 4-6 weeks
- Swim after about 4-6 weeks
- If you are still a student, you can go back to school after 14 days
- After 12 weeks you will be ready to go back to contact sports
If you’re not sure about when you can resume certain activities, ask your surgeon for guidance! They will be happy to help you decide what is and isn’t safe during recovery from otoplasty.
Why Choose Becker Plastics?
Finding the right surgeon is absolutely crucial for your safety and results. Here are some reasons to work with the team at Becker Plastics in New Jersey or Philadelphia:
- All our staff members adhere to a strict set of rules and a code of conduct
- We carry out all our operations in safe, clean medical facilities that are accredited
- Our team of plastic surgeons is experienced and trained in all types of plastic surgery procedures
- All the plastic surgeons in our organization are board-certified by AAFPRS (American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery)
Why choose the Doctors at Becker Plastic Surgery
Kirk Lozada, MD, FACS
- Completed his fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania and has trained with the top Facial Plastic Surgeons in Philadelphia, New York, and New Jersey.
- Has traveled to Ica, Peru with Healing the Children on multiple occasions performing a high volume of cleft lip and palate surgery.
- Is currently a member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and has numerous publications and presentations in the field of facial plastic surgery.
Daniel Becker, MD, FACS
- Board Certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology (ENT).
- Board Certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS).
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
- Top-Rated by US News and World Report, Philadelphia Magazine, South Jersey Magazine, Castle-Connelly, and others.
- Read more about rhinoplasty specialist Dr. Becker’s credentials
Nicole Schrader, MD, FACS
- She is a double board certified surgeon in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Otolaryngology & Head/Neck Surgery.
- Is a member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Has over 20 years of experience, 15+ years in private practice and has performed hundreds of facelift surgeries.
- Dr. Schrader Recognized as Best Plastic Surgeon by Town Topics Readers’ Choice Awards.
Pick one of our 6 convenient locations
for Your Plastic Surgery Needs